Wednesday 7 December 2011

Sam Roberts - I Feel You

The open highway is even  better with the right music.  On our way to the Fraser Canyon.

It is almost the weekend and I am feeling in the mood to talk about something pleasurable today.  Sam Roberts, at least for me, fits the bill perfectly.
First. let me confess that I did not know who he was or had listened to any of his music until a few years back, maybe as late as 2009.  It was D who introduced me to Sam Roberts.  I heard Hard Road and there was an instant spark.  After that, I was hooked for life on his fresh indie rock sound and his smart, poetic lyrics.  I used to crank up my stereo while driving on the wide Texas highways and dream of what it would be like to venture into what was taking more and more shape as my new destination; Canada.  


     "Feel, feel it grow ♪ ♫
      In your mind, in your mind
      Life is how you live it
      Through time, through time...
♪ ♫
      ...When the sun dies until it's reborn
       But there's no road that ain't a hard road to travel on
       ...Been dying since the day I was born
       'Cause there's no road that ain't a hard road to travel on"
 ♪ ♫ 

Sam Roberts has been around for a while.  His first solo album, The Inhuman Condition, came out in 2001.  He had belonged to a few other bands before but it was in 2001 that he became wildly famous here.   The single Brother Down from this album, which he recoded at his home studio, became an overnight sensation in Canadian radio stations.   Other albums from him are: We Were Born in a Flame (which I love), Chemical City, Love at the End of the World, and this year's Collider.  This last album is under the Sam Roberts Band name.  Check out the video for his single, Without a Map, below.   It's refreshingly different from most rock videos.  

Sam was born in Quebec, on the island of Montreal.  His parents are South Africans.   Something you probably don't know about him:  He speaks English, French, and Spanish.  Well, if he speaks Spanish that explains why he is so cool.

I say if you live in Canada, plan to move to Canada, visit Canada,  or just love Canada and/or Canadians then you really need to check out Sam Robert's music.   
Without a Map - Album: COLLIDER



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on past posts and what you would like to see more of in future ones :-D